STEIN (in USA, surname in Russia is unknown) / ШТЕЙН (в США, в России - неизвестно)

Модератор: anno_nin

Ответить
AdamLink1

STEIN (in USA, surname in Russia is unknown) / ШТЕЙН (в США, в России - неизвестно)

#1 AdamLink1 » 16 май 2017, 17:09

I am trying to locate records for my Jewish ancestors, but I don't speak Ukrainian or Russian. Can someone direct me on where to start my search?

My grandfather was born in Odessa around 16 January 1882; I knew him as Louis Stein, and his father's name as Philip Israel Stein. We think his mother was Anne Rose.

My grandmother was born in in Kiev around 3 July 1886; I knew her as Eva Braunstein, and her father's name as Abraham Braunstein. We think her mother's name was Hannah. The last name may have been Bronstein.
She had two siblings, also born in the Ukraine. Her brother Louis about 1896, and her sister Ethel about 1901.

Both grandparents moved to the USA about 1905-1906.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to post on this forum.

Юлия_П
Администратор
Благодарил (а): 1938 раз

Thread for questions and answers in English

#2 Юлия_П » 16 май 2017, 17:25

AdamLink1 писал(а): My grandfather was born in Odessa around 16 January 1882; I knew him as Louis Stein, and his father's name as Philip Israel Stein.
На сайте jewishgen.org есть поиск по базе данных Odessa birth index. Вы пробовали там искать Stein (Shtein) в Ukraine? Ни в 1881, ни в 1882 г. нет фамилии Shtein с похожим именем. Это означает, что либо в базе данных ошибка, либо Louis родился не в Одессе, либо его имя не было похоже на Louis. Очень часто эмигранты указывали местом рождения Одессу, даже если они всего лишь выезжали из страны через одесский порт.

MOCKBA
Благодарил (а): 2026 раз

#3 MOCKBA » 16 май 2017, 18:26

Юлия_П писал(а): либо Louis родился не в Одессе, либо его имя не было похоже на Louis.
One more possibility is that the original surname wasn't Stein, but got simplified or changed after immigration?
Гоникберг (Могилев-Подольский, Ушицкий уезд, и повсюду), Прусс, Черницкий(Городок Витебской), Пальман (Витебск), Богин, Рудерман (Минск), Лапицкий (Копысь, Киев)

mikev
Благодарил (а): 511 раз

#4 mikev » 16 май 2017, 18:30

I think the starting point is to locate the immigration documents (familysearch) if this was not done already.

Name "Louis" was quite popular among Jews who already arrived in the US, but very unusual on immigration documents, the immigrants tended to write the original name (Leiba, for example). And "Stein" indeed may be a shortening of a longer name, it would be helpful to see what it was.

If you have the US immigration documents, please post them (or link to them) here,... without them you have too little to go on, I think. :(

AdamLink1

#5 AdamLink1 » 02 янв 2018, 05:52

mikev писал(а): I think the starting point is to locate the immigration documents (familysearch) if this was not done already.

Name "Louis" was quite popular among Jews who already arrived in the US, but very unusual on immigration documents, the immigrants tended to write the original name (Leiba, for example). And "Stein" indeed may be a shortening of a longer name, it would be helpful to see what it was.

If you have the US immigration documents, please post them (or link to them) here,... without them you have too little to go on, I think. :(
So far I have not been able to locate his immigration documents, and there are no other relatives alive who might have them. All I have is his Certificate of Death, which states that he was born in Russia but we know he was born in the Ukraine.
У вас нет необходимых прав для просмотра вложений в этом сообщении.

mikev

#6 mikev » 02 янв 2018, 06:38

AdamLink1 писал(а): My grandfather was born in Odessa around 16 January 1882; I knew him as Louis Stein, and his father's name as Philip Israel Stein. We think his mother was Anne Rose.

My grandmother was born in in Kiev around 3 July 1886; I knew her as Eva Braunstein, and her father's name as Abraham Braunstein. We think her mother's name was Hannah. The last name may have been Bronstein.
The first names used on the marriage certificate (1909) are Leib and Rifke. These are likely accurate.

oztech
Благодарил (а): 578 раз

STEIN / ШТЕЙН

#7 oztech » 02 янв 2018, 13:51

What is key surname in Russian - Штейн? Бронштейн?
Григорий

anno_nin
Благодарил (а): 1788 раз

STEIN / ШТЕЙН

#8 anno_nin » 02 янв 2018, 17:01

Юлия_П писал(а): Это означает, что либо в базе данных ошибка, либо Louis родился не в Одессе, либо его имя не было похоже на Louis
Либо Stein - не та фамилия, которая была у него в Одессе. Эта фамилия могла появиться в Америке как редуцированная. И хорошо будет, если Штейн - начало фамилии. А если оригинальная фамилия на -штейн заканчивалась?

AdamLink1

STEIN / ШТЕЙН

#9 AdamLink1 » 02 янв 2018, 17:58

I remember my father once telling me that my grandfather's name was something like 'Shtein' and when he came through immigration, the immigration officer wrote down Stein. But I have never seen any documents showing the spelling of what the name was. As far as Braunstein or Bronstein, I assume something similar might have occurred, but I was never told about that.

mikev

STEIN / ШТЕЙН

#10 mikev » 02 янв 2018, 18:34

oztech писал(а): What is key surname in Russian - Штейн? Бронштейн?
Both.

Stein -- is the surname used by Leib->Louis Stein in the US. Quite likely a reduction of ???stein.or Stein????.
Bronstein -- is the surname used by his wife Rifke->Eva. Quite likely the real one, only spelling differences.

One must find some immigration papers to be able to make further progress.
I tried yesterday -- and found more Leib(a) Stein's than I could handle, mostly Russia, but also Austria, and no signs of the right one.
I could not find his wife's papers either.

The OP should go carefully through these:

Gold Search for Leib Stein

Check this one in particular:
77 Steinberg, Leib Odessa, Russia 24 1879-1880 1904
Gold search for Rifke Braunstein

Sweethippo

#11 Sweethippo » 27 ноя 2019, 19:11

Hello! Did you find any clues? In my family tree there is a distant relative Leib Steinwortsel. He had two children - Yankel and Sophia. The eldest grandson Matus (my great-grandfather) was born in 1918 and died in 1954 after surgery. In principle, if we assume that Leib and Yankel had children when they were 18 years old, then it is likely that Leib emigrated to the United States. Unfortunately, I do not have other information. Perhaps you know some other facts?

Katja
Благодарил (а): 505 раз

#12 Katja » 28 ноя 2019, 02:30

Штейн seems to be quite a common surname in Odessa. There were many carriers of Штейн surname in Odessa if you check https://yvng.yadvashem.org and https://pamyat-naroda.ru.
Смоляр - Белиловка, Сквира и Киев / Барские - Златополь/Новомиргород, Звенигородка, Белая Церковь и Киев / Клигман - Солобковцы,Белая Церковь / Мирцин/Мирчин - Белая Церковь, Триполье / Хараб - Белая Церковь, Киев Ольшанецкие - Сквира и Киев / Вайнруб - Сквира, Киев, Таллин / Шапиро - Сквира, Киев, Челябинск / Гельзин - Чернигов и Киев / Розенвасер - Белая Церковь и Киев

anno_nin
Благодарил (а): 1788 раз

#13 anno_nin » 28 ноя 2019, 11:21

Sweethippo писал(а):
27 ноя 2019, 19:11
Steinwortsel
Steven-Morse shows Steinworzel in djsre as a separate family name. i.e. Stein and Steinworzel are different surnames.
You can check the areal and ethymology of Steinworzel in A Dictionary of Jewish Surnames from the Russian Empire, Alexander Beider (2008)
or in viewtopic.php?f=97&t=92

Sweethippo

#14 Sweethippo » 29 ноя 2019, 11:50

anno_nin писал(а):
28 ноя 2019, 11:21
Steven-Morse shows Steinworzel in djsre as a separate family name. i.e. Stein and Steinworzel are different surnames.
You can check the areal and ethymology of Steinworzel in A Dictionary of Jewish Surnames from the Russian Empire, Alexander Beider (2008)
or in viewtopic.php?f=97&t=92
I understand that these are two different surnames, but it is possible that during the migration they could replace the data with a closer sound in the country of residence. How to do it with the name. When migrating to Russia, my great-grandmother generally destroyed the original documents with the real name and wrote herself and the children to her premarital name. Therefore, I am working on all versions and clues.

Ответить

Вернуться в «My Jewish Ancestry in Russia and USSR»